Homeless Education Services
Serving Students Experiencing Homelessness
The Mifflin County School District recognizes its obligation to ensure that homeless students have access to the same educational programs and services provided to other district students. The district shall make reasonable efforts to identify homeless children within the district, encourage their enrollment, and eliminate existing barriers to their attendance and education, in compliance with federal and state law and regulations.
The district may waive policies, procedures and administrative regulations that create barriers for enrollment, attendance, transportation and success in school of homeless students, based on the recommendation of the Superintendent.
Every state is required to have a coordinator for the education of homeless children and youth, and every school district is required to have a liaison for homeless students. These individuals will assist with the implementation of the McKinney-Vento Homeless Assistance Act and can be contacted for more information:
717-248-0148, Ext. 2546
Who Is Homeless?
According to federal guidelines, homeless students are defined as individuals lacking a fixed, regular, or adequate nighttime residence. Students may be living in any of the following conditions:
- Sharing the housing of other persons due to loss of housing, economic hardship, or a similar reason.
- Living in motels, hotels, trailer parks, or camping grounds due to lack of alternative adequate accommodations.
- Living in emergency, transitional, or domestic violence shelters.
- Living in public or private places not designed for or ordinarily used as regular sleeping accommodations for human beings.
- Living in cars, parks, public spaces, abandoned buildings, substandard housing, transportation stations, or similar settings.
- Living as migratory children in conditions described in examples above.
- Living as run-away children.
- Abandoned or forced out of homes by parents/guardians or caretakers, or separated from parents/guardians for any other reason.
- Living as school age parents/guardians in houses for school age parents/guardians if they have no other living accommodations.