Throughout a student's high school career, he or she will be faced with different tests that he or she will need to take. Below is a list of tests Mifflin County High School students will either need to take or will need to choose to take during their time at MCHS along with how to register for them (if needed):
- Keystone Exams are state mandated tests that students will take upon completion of certain courses. Results of these courses are used to determine AYP for MCHS.
- These exams are scored using Advanced, Proficient, Basic, and Below Basic indicators. If students score Basic or Below Basic, they are required to retake the test.
- Beginning with the class of 2021, Keystone Exams will be used in determining whether or not a student will graduate.
- As of the 2012-2013 school year, Keystone Exams are given in Literature, Biology, and Algebra. Keystone Exams in additional subject areas may be given in future years.
- Students will take the Keystone Exams in the Spring at the end of the trigger courses (English 10 is the trigger course for the Literature Exam; Biology is the trigger course for the Biology Exam; Algebra I and Algebra IB are trigger courses for the Algebra Exam.
Advanced Placement (AP) Exams
- Students who opt to take Advanced Placement (AP) courses are required to take the cooresponding AP exam at the end of the course.
- These exams do cost money, and the student is required to provide that payment unless he or she receives free or reduced lunch prices.
- AP exams are given on specific days. If a student misses the exam, he or she will need to make arrangements with the Guidance Office to retake the exam.
- Students who are planning on enrolling in a four year college/university or even some two year schools should take the SAT or ACT. Students can register to take the SAT at https://www.collegeboard.org/. The cost is $47.50 for the SAT, and the cost for the SAT with essay is $64.50; however, if a student receives free or reduced lunch, he or she can obtain a fee waiver from his or her counselor. The SAT is offered at MCHS during the following months: August, October, November, March, and May.
- Students who are planning on enrolling in a four year college/university or even some two year schools should take the SAT or ACT. Students can register to take the ACT at http://www.act.org/content/act/en/products-and-services/the-act.html. The cost is $50.50 for the ACT and $67.00 for the ACT with essay; however, if a student receives free or reduced lunch, he or she can obtain a fee waiver from his or her counselor. The ACT is not offered at MCHS.
- Students interested in joining a branch of the military will need to take the ASVAB.
- The ASVAB (Armed Services Vocational Aptitude Battery) is an exam that measures four critical areas: Arithmetic Reasoning, Word Knowledge, Paragraph Comprehension, and Mathematics Knowledge.
- Scores in the above named areas count towards a student's AFQT (Armed Forces Qualifying Test) score. This score determines whether one is qualified to enlist in the U.S. military.
- The score one receives in other areas of the ASVAB determines his or her qualifications for specific jobs in the military.