Go Back to MCHS Guidance
Financial Aid 101
There are four major types of financial aid:
- Loans: Loans are money that must be repaid with interest.
- Grants: Grants are money that does not have to be repaid. It is usually based on financial need.
- Scholarships: Scholarships are money that does not have to be repaid and is awarded based on academics, talents, or other special interests.
- Work Study: Work Study programs award money that does not have to be repaid. It is typically money earned by working on campus while attending school.
The FAFSA (Free Application for Federal Student Aid)
- The best place to begin with all financial aid is the FAFSA. The FAFSA (Free Application for Federal Student Aid) is the federal form used to determine how much a family can afford to pay for college.
- By filling out this form, students may be eligible for financial assistance for college from federal and state governments as well as post-secondary institutions.
- Filling out the FAFSA does not necessarily mean one has to go to college; however, it gives the student the possiblity to receive money to be used for college.
MCHS Financial Aid Nights
The MCHS Guidance Office provides parents and students with two financial aid night opportunities.
Financial Aid Night: General Information Meeting
- During the month of September, the MCHS Guidance Office sponsors a Financial Aid Night. On this night parents and students are provided with a general overview of the financial aid process as well as the different types of financial aid.
- This financial aid event is held in the MCHS Cafeteria.
FSA ID Registration Day
- In early October, our PHEAA representative will be in the Guidance Office all day to assist students and parents registering for their FSA ID. Since the FAFSA is an online application, students and at least one parent must register for an FSA ID to use to sign the FAFSA. Students and parents can drop in to meet with our PHEAA representative that day whenever it is convenient for them.
FAFSA Completion Nights
- During the month of October, the MCHS Guidance Office sponsors a FAFSA Completion Night. On this night parents and students are assigned to various computer labs in the Mifflin County High School Library in which there will be local financial aid officers from various colleges and universities available to help them walk through the process of filling out the FAFSA.
- Parents and students are asked to sign-up for the event in advance so that they can get a list of documents needed to fill out the FAFSA and so that we know how many labs to reserve. Sign-ups can be done by calling the Guidance Office at 242-0240 or by stopping by the Guidance Office between 8 AM and 3:30 PM.
- The FAFSA now opens on October 1st of each year.