Chief Operations Officer
Vance S. Varner began his educational career in the Upper Dauphin Area School District in August 1991 where he served as a high school science teacher, soccer coach and wrestling coach. During his first year of teaching, he won the National Sallie Mae First Year Teacher of the Year. He was the only first year teacher in Pennsylvania to win the award in Spring of 1992.
Mr. Varner began working in the Mifflin County School District in August 1995 as a science teacher at Indian Valley High School and then at Lewistown Middle School. Starting July 1, 2000, Mr. Varner became the Assistant Principal at Lewistown Area High School. On July 1, 2003, he was promoted to the Principal at Lewistown Area High School until June 2009. On July 1, 2009, Mr. Varner served as the Director of Secondary Education. Starting July 1, 2020, Mr. Varner became the Chief Operations Officer for the Mifflin County School District. For school year 20-21, Mr. Varner is entering his 23rd year as a school administrator including 12 years of experience as a central office administrator in the Mifflin County School District.
Mr. Varner received his Bachelor of Science Degree in Secondary Science Education from Pennsylvania State University in May 1991. He received a Master’s Degree in Educational Administration from Pennsylvania State University in May 1997. He completed his Elementary Principal Certificate from Penn State in August 2000 and his Superintendent’s Letter of Eligibility from Penn State in May 2004.
Earlier in his professional career, Mr. Varner was a Special Agent with the Federal Bureau of Investigation and was stationed in Newark, New Jersey. In the line of duty, SA Varner received a letter of commendation from then FBI Director Louis J. Freeh for professional competence, initiative, and commitment to duty. Mr. Varner has applied these same qualities and work ethic to the Mifflin County School District.
The office of the Chief Operations Officer has responsibilities and duties related to the following:
- Oversees the day-to-day operations of all MCSD K-12 schools
- School Safety and Security Coordinator
- Coordinator of the Safe2Say Something Program
- Liaison with local and state law enforcement agencies
- Supervision of the transportation director
- Supervisor of K-12 pupil attendance
- Manager of child accounting
- Supervisor of home education
- Supervisor of homebound education
- Responsible for Student Discipline Hearings
- Liaison for the substitute teacher service (STS)
- Manager of the AESOP system for MCSD employees
- Responsibility for the Professional Employees’ Credit Tuition Reimbursement Program
In his spare time, Mr. Varner enjoys spending time with his two daughters, gardening and fly fishing.