The DOs and DON’Ts of
To capably assist the school with
additional services, all volunteers are
requested to keep in mind the following:
- DO take a personal interest in
helping and working with teachers, staff
- DO be willing to learn more about
fostering the process of growth and
development in children.
- DO participate in training programs
offered to volunteers.
- DO be willing and able to follow
directions from teachers and staff.
- DO be adaptable and flexible when
working with children.
- DO have a cooperative attitude in
working with school personnel.
- DO be imaginative, creative and
- DO be consistent and dependable.
- DO keep all student information
- DO have a sense of humor as well a
patience and understanding.
- DO accept each child for who they
- DO let the teacher be responsible
- DON’T forget to sign in and out of
the office every time you’re in the
- DON’T scold when pointing out
errors. Use a positive approach.
- DON’T become annoyed when students
don’t understand something the first
- DON’T be afraid to laugh at
- DON’T lose your temper.
- DON’T do a student’s work for them.
- DON’T discuss student’s work with
anyone but the teacher.
- DON’T ask teachers or others for
personal information about students.
- DON’T threaten or punish students.
- DON’T intervene or contradict a
teacher once a problem has been handled.
- DON’T forget to contact the teacher
or school if you can’t fulfill your