Director Of Secondary Education
Vance S. Varner began his educational career in the Upper Dauphin Area School District in August 1991 where he served as a high school science teacher, soccer coach and wrestling coach. Mr. Varner began working in the Mifflin County School District in August 1995 as a science teacher at Indian Valley High School and then at Lewistown Middle School. Starting July 1, 2000, Mr. Varner became the Assistant Principal at Lewistown Area High School. On July 1, 2003, he was promoted to the Principal at Lewistown Area High School until June 2009. On July 1, 2009, Mr. Varner became and continues to serve as the Director of Secondary Education for the Mifflin County School District.
Mr. Varner received his Bachelor of Science Degree in Secondary Science Education from Pennsylvania State University in May 1991. He received a Master’s Degree in Educational Administration from Pennsylvania State University in May 1997. He completed his Elementary Principal Certificate from Penn State in August 2000 and his Superintendent’s Letter of Eligibility from Penn State in May 2004.
The office of the Director of Secondary Education has responsibilities and duties related to the following:
- Supervisor of the grade 6-12 schools
- School Safety and Security Coordinator
- Coordinator of the Safe2Say Something Program
- Supervisor of K-12 pupil attendance
- Supervision of the Alpha/MCO (two district on-line learning programs within MCSD)
- Manager of child accounting
- Supervisor of athletic program
- Supervisor of home education
- Supervisor of homebound education
- Responsible for Student Discipline Hearings
- Liaison for the substitute teacher service (STS)
- Manager of the AESOP system for MCSD employees
- Responsibility for the Professional Employees’ Credit Tuition Reimbursement Program
In his spare time, Mr. Varner enjoys spending time with his daughters, gardening and fly fishing.