Director of Secondary Education Page
Director of Secondary Education:
Mr. Vance S. Varner
Secretary to the Director of
Mrs. Angela Rowles
The office of the Director of Secondary education has responsibilities and duties related to the following:
- Supervisor of Grades 6-12 Schools
- Supervisor of K-12 Pupil Attendance
- Child Accounting
- Supervisor of Athletic Program
- Supervisor of Home Education
- Supervisor of Homebound Education
- Substitute Teachers
- Liaison for the Substitute Teacher Service (STS)
- Manages the AESOP System for MCSD Employees
Parents Make the Difference
Parents are a child's most influential teacher. Children spend the majority of their waking hours under the guidance of a parent or guardian. There is strong evidence to support the importance of parental involvement in a child's education. Here are some ways you can help:
- Encourage your child to read every day. Be a reading role model.
- Discuss local, state and national news, and current world events.
Relate these discussions to your family, community and the world.
- Apply math skills to daily living.
- Make sure your child knows the value of a sound, well-rounded education.
- Promote regular school attendance and punctuality.
- Be a role model that exemplifies the 12 Traits of Character promoted by our
- Establish routines and expectations that reinforce responsible behavior.
- Support your child's involvement in a variety of school and community activities.
- Teach your child about the benefits of good nutrition and daily exercise.
- Create a love for learning!